¥30 Billion “Special Fund for Disaster Preparedness” Established
The Nippon Foundation has established a new ¥30-billion Special Fund for Disaster Preparedness to facilitate emergency relief in the event of a major disaster like the powerful earthquake that has been predicted for the greater Tokyo area or Nankai Trough.
In the event of another major disaster, the Nippon Foundation will build on its experience from the Great East Japan Earthquake to provide direct aid as quickly as possible. To facilitate this, the Special Fund for Disaster Preparedness is to be built up over six years, with ¥5 billion to be added each year. Contributions are also being solicited from the general public and from corporations. In the event of a major disaster, the fund will be used to enable volunteers and nonprofit organizations to quickly commence their activities.
- Press conference to announce the Special Fund for Disaster Preparedness
Date & time: March 6, 2014 (Thursday); 2:00 – 2:30 p.m.
Location: 2nd Floor Conference Room, The Nippon Foundation Building (1-2-2 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo)
Speaker: Yohei Sasakawa, Chairman of the Nippon Foundation
- Major activities envisioned for the Special Fund for Disaster Preparedness (PDF/ 418KB)
- Donating to the Special Fund for Disaster Preparedness
Donations to the Special Fund for Disaster Preparedness are being solicited from companies and individuals.
Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Head Office (SWIFT / BIC code: BOTKJPJT)
- 2-7-1, Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8388 Japan
- +81-3-3240-1111 (from overseas)
- Account number
- Account name
- The Nippon Foundation
- Reference information: The Nippon Foundation’s activities in response to the Great East Japan Earthquake (in Japanese only)
Reports on the Nippon Foundation’s activities are available at the following.
Disaster Relief Team
The Nippon Foundation