Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds – Disaster Prevention and MitigationResults of 49th installment announced
The 49th installment of the Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds, launched by The Nippon Foundation in October 2018, was carried out from August 26 to 31 on the subject of “Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.” The survey of 1,000 respondents in Japan aged 17 to 19 was intended to examine young people’s experiences, thinking, and actions with regard to large-scale natural disasters and disaster prevention and mitigation.
More than 80% of respondents expressed concerns regarding disasters being exacerbated by global warming and forecasts of a large-scale earthquake occurring in the next 10 to 20 years, and view the situation with a sense of crisis. At the same time, however, more than half did not know things like the location of their locally designated evacuation center and less than 20% were familiar with the government’s evacuation information guidelines, showing a need for greater public awareness of disaster-related systems and countermeasures.
Highlights of the 49th Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds – Disaster Prevention and Mitigation
Disasters being exacerbated by climate change
- “Very concerned” + “Somewhat concerned” – 82.6%
Forecasts of a large-scale earthquake occurring in the next 10 to 20 years
- “Very concerned” + “Somewhat concerned” – 83.8%
Awareness of government’s evacuation information guidelines (published by the Cabinet Office and revised in May 2021)
- Aware of the revision and familiar with the contents – 18.1%
Knowledge of evacuation centers and evacuation sites (know definition of evacuation site/center but not location + do not know definition or location)
- Evacuation site (local park, university, etc. for seeking temporary safety) – 56.1%
- Evacuation center (temporary living quarters) – 55.0%
Top 3 disaster prevention/mitigation measures being carried out
- Purchase and storing of emergency food and drink – 31.4%
- Purchase and storing of drinking water – 28.4%
- Confirmation of evacuation center and evacuation route – 25.0%
Top 3 sources of information were a large-scale disaster to occur
- Television – 45.2%
- Twitter – 37.9%
- Internet search – 34.7%
Organizations with “Sufficient” disaster prevention and mitigation measures in place (“Fully sufficient” + “Somewhat lacking, but mostly sufficient”)
- Schools – 40.4%
- Local government – 32.3%
- National government – 30.8%
- Local community – 29.0%
- From the 13th survey, the number of respondents, comprising men and women aged 17 to 19, has been increased to 1,000 from 800.
- With the exception of the 20th and 46th installments, “Awareness Survey of Society and Country,” all surveys cover respondents in Japan only.
Public Relations Team
The Nippon Foundation
- Email: email@example.com