Awareness Survey of 18-Year-OldsResults of 27th installment announced

The 27th installment of the Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds, launched by The Nippon Foundation in October 2018, was carried out in mid-June on the theme of the “Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games.” This was the second survey carried out on this topic, the previous being in July 2019, prior to the new coronavirus pandemic. The survey showed that more than half of respondents were looking forward to the Olympics, Paralympics, or both, although the figure of 55.5% was less than the 68.5% recorded in the previous survey. In addition, slightly less than half of respondents felt the Games should be held in some form in 2021 as currently scheduled, while roughly one-third thought they should be delayed further, and almost 20% thought they should be canceled altogether.

Notes:

  1. From the 13th survey, the number of respondents, comprising men and women aged 17 to 19, has been increased to 1,000 from 800. (With the exception of the 20th installment, “Awareness Survey of Society and Country,” all surveys cover respondents in Japan only.)
  2. In the information below, differences between total amounts and simple sums are due to rounding.

Survey 27. Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games (Preliminary results announced on July 21, 2020)

Finding: 55.5% of respondents are looking forward to the Olympics, Paralympics, or both. (n = 1,000)

“Are you looking forward to the Olympics, Paralympics, or both?”

  • Olympics and Paralympics – 31.9%
  • Olympics only – 22.7%
  • Paralympics only – 0.9%
  • Neither – 44.5%
Pie chart showing results from Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds: In response to the question, “Are you looking forward to the Olympics, Paralympics, or both?” 31.9% of respondents replied “Olympics and Paralympics,” 22.9% replied “Olympics only,” 0.9% replied “Paralympics only,” and 44.5% replied “Neither.”

Comparison with July 2019 survey

Bar chart comparing results from July 2019 and June 2020 installments of the Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds: In response to the question, “Are you looking forward to the Olympics, Paralympics, or both?”, in July 2019, 27.7% of respondents replied “Olympics and Paralympics,” 39.5% replied “Olympics only,” 1.3% replied “Paralympics only,” and 31.5% replied “Neither.” In the June 2020 survey, 31.9% of respondents replied “Olympics and Paralympics,” 22.9% replied “Olympics only,” 0.9% replied “Paralympics only,” and 44.5% replied “Neither.”

Finding: Slightly less than half of respondents felt the Games should be held in some form in 2021 as currently scheduled. (n = 1,000)

“Do you believe the Games should be held as currently scheduled?”

  • Yes, and held as planned – 28.0%
  • Yes, but with events scaled back – 18.5%
  • They should be delayed until 2022 – 22.3%
  • They should be delayed until 2024 – 11.5%
  • They should be canceled – 19.7%
Pie chart showing results from Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds: In response to the question, “Do you believe the Games should be held as currently scheduled?” 28.0% of respondents replied “Yes, and held as planned” and 18.5% replied “Yes, but with events scaled back,” for a total of 46.5% replying that they should be held in some form as scheduled in 2021, while 22.3% replied “They should be delayed until 2022” and 11.5% replied “They should be delayed until 2024,” for a total of 33.8% replying that they should be further delayed, and 19.7% replied “They should be canceled.”

Finding: Almost two-thirds of respondents thought that new coronavirus countermeasures will be the key to having a successful Games in 2021. (n = 1,000)

“What will be necessary for holding a successful Games in 2020?”

Bar chart comparing results from July 2019 and June 2020 installments of the Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds: In response to the question, “What will be necessary for holding a successful Games in 2020?”, in July 2019, 30.4% of respondents replied “Preparations against summer heat,” 24.1% replied “Anti-terrorism measures,” 20.3% replied “Alleviating road and public transportation congestion,” 9.1% replied “Preparations for the possibility of an earthquake,” 3.7% replied “Preparations for the possibility of torrential rain,” 1.2% replied “Other,” and 11.2% replied “None in particular.” In the June 2020 survey, 74.0% replied “New coronavirus countermeasures” (added in the June 2020 survey), 6.3% replied “Preparations against summer heat,” 4.7% replied “Anti-terrorism measures,” 3.2% replied “Alleviating road and public transportation congestion,” 1.1% replied “Preparations for the possibility of an earthquake,” 0.5% replied “Preparations for the possibility of torrential rain,” 1.4% replied “Other,” and 8.8% replied “None in particular.”

Finding: More than two-thirds of respondents thought that managing venues to avoid the 3Cs* was needed to prevent the spread of new coronavirus infections. (up to 3 answers allowed; n = 1,000)

“What do you think needs to be done to prevent the spread of new coronavirus infections?”

  • Managing venues to avoid the 3Cs* – 68.9%
  • Availability of a vaccination or treatment – 46.3%
  • Testing of persons entering Japan – 34.1%
  • PCR testing of athletes and persons involved – 27.9%
  • Measures to prevent the spread of infections in athletes’ villages – 21.2%
  • Securing sufficient hospital beds and medical capacity – 17.6%
  • Availability of a smartphone app to track persons in close contact with persons infected – 8.2%
  • Telework and online education to alleviate congestion – 7.6%
  • Others – 1.1%
  • The “3Cs” to be avoided are closed spaces with poor ventilation, crowds, and close face-to-face conversation.

Finding: The most important thing that needs to be done to maintain athletes’ motivation is to make a decision on holding the Games at an early date. (n = 1,000)

“With uncertainty about whether the Games will be held, what do you think needs to be done to maintain athletes’ motivation to compete?”

  • Making a decision on holding the Games at an early date – 30.9%
  • Mental health care for athletes and persons involved – 19.5%
  • Clarifying schedule and standards for selection of athletes – 16.5%
  • Securing practice facilities – 11.3%
  • Creating a mood to support athletes – 11.3%
  • Holding an alternate event – 8.7%
  • Others – 1.8%
Pie chart showing results from Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds: In response to the question, “With uncertainty about whether the Games will be held, what do you think needs to be done to maintain athletes’ motivation to compete?” 30.9% of respondents replied “Making a decision on holding the Games at an early date,” 19.5% replied “Mental health care for athletes and persons involved,” 16.5% replied “Clarifying schedule and standards for selection of athletes,” 11.3% replied “Securing practice facilities,” 11.3% replied “Creating a mood to support athletes,” 8.7% replied “Holding an alternate event,” and 1.8% replied “Others.”

Contact

Public Relations Team
The Nippon Foundation

  • Email: cc@ps.nippon-foundation.or.jp