Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds – Situation in UkraineResults of 47th installment announced
The 47th installment of the Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds, launched by The Nippon Foundation in October 2018, was carried out from July 12 to 14 on the subject of the “Situation in Ukraine.” The survey of 1,000 respondents in Japan was intended to survey young people’s attitudes and actions in response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, and their evaluation of the Japanese government’s response.
The results are as outlined below. Respondents showed a high degree of interest in the situation in Ukraine, with some having participated in relief activities in neighboring countries and fundraising activities. Respondents had a positive view of the role that Japan is playing, with more than half approving of Japan’s acceptance of the more than 1,600 evacuees from Ukraine who have already come to Japan.
Highlights of the 47th Awareness Survey of 18-Year-Olds – Situation in Ukraine
More than 60% of respondents are interested in the situation in Ukraine, with roughly 10% having made a donation, volunteered, or engaged in other specific activities
- Interest in the situation in Ukraine: 61.0% replied “Very interested” or “Somewhat interested”
- Have engaged in activities to support people of Ukraine: Made a donation – 12.1%; Volunteered – 5.7%
Approval of support for Ukraine, sanctions against Russia
- Japan’s support for Ukraine: 57.6% replied “Support very much” or “Support somewhat”
- Japan’s sanctions against Russia: 36.3% replied “Support very much” or “Support somewhat”
Effect on, threat to Japan (totals of “Possible” or “Some possibility”)
- Adverse effect on Japanese economy – 56.8%
- Increase in evacuees, refugees – 55.1%
- Crisis for energy security – 52.5%
- Russian military action against Japan – 44.6%
Japan’s role in achieving world peace: 64.6% replied “Large” or “Some”
Approval of general acceptance of Ukrainian evacuees, refugees
- Acceptance of evacuees from Ukraine: 62.4% “Approve”; 10.0% “Oppose”
- Acceptance of refugees from abroad in general (including from places other than Ukraine): 49.4% “Approve”; 16.4% “Oppose”
- * “Approve” is the total of “Strongly approve” and “Somewhat approve.” “Oppose” is the total of “Strongly oppose” and “Somewhat oppose.”
Top three media sources for information regarding the situation in Ukraine
- Television – 67.2%
- Twitter – 49.3%
- News websites – 45.3%
Degree of interest in the situation in Ukraine
Desire to take action and actions taken regarding the situation in Ukraine (n = 1,000)
- * Note: For this survey, “Donation” is defined as (1) A monetary donation made via a supporting organization, company, etc.; (2) A donation via crowdfunding; (3) A direct monetary donation to a person or people in Ukraine; and (4) A purchase of charity merchandise.
Possibility of various threats related to the situation in Ukraine materializing
- From the 13th survey, the number of respondents, comprising men and women aged 17 to 19, has been increased to 1,000 from 800.
- With the exception of the 20th and 46th installments, “Awareness Survey of Society and Country,” all surveys cover respondents in Japan only.
Public Relations Team
The Nippon Foundation
- Email: email@example.com