Response to July 2020 Flooding in Kyushu
The Nippon Foundation responded to the flooding that occurred in Kumamoto and Kagoshima prefectures on the island of Kyushu in July 2020 in a number of ways.
1. Support for flooding victims
- Installation of emergency toilets to protect people’s physical health
- Strategic supplies of goods required by evacuation shelters and persons evacuating in homes
- Payment of condolence monies of 100,000 yen to the family of each person who died (directly or indirectly) as a result of the flooding and landslides
2. Support for NGOs and volunteer organizations
- Support of up to 1 million yen per project to support the activities of NGOs and volunteer organizations (in light of the new coronavirus pandemic, limited to locally based organizations)
- Support of up to 3 million yen per project to support the activities of volunteer organizations with specialist skills or knowledge (medical, psychological, social welfare, heavy equipment, etc.)
- Supplies of goods to prevent the spread of new coronavirus infections among volunteers working on projects covered by either of the above
3. Support to create an environment for education (for flooded buildings)
Educational materials (books, physical education equipment, musical instruments, etc.) were provided to nurseries and kindergartens, elementary, junior high and high schools, vocational schools, special needs schools, and junior colleges, colleges and universities where buildings were damaged by flooding.
4. Support for social welfare organizations
- Support of up to 3 million yen per facility to support continuing operations at facilities providing accommodation services that have been supported by The Nippon Foundation and were damaged by flooding
- Replacement vehicles and equipment and support for structural repairs for vehicles, equipment, and buildings provided by The Nippon Foundation that were damaged by flooding.
- Support of up to 1 million yen per facility to repair facilities providing accommodation services
For inquiries regarding donations
Partnership Development Division, The Nippon Foundation
- Email: email@example.com
For inquiries regarding this website (including this page)
Public Relations Team, The Nippon Foundation
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org